Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Work From Home While Homeschooling

Happy New Year!
If you have set some reachable goals for yourself this year, is one of them to make more money, some how, in some way, from home?
I am just speaking for myself here, but I am sure there are more moms out there just like me...
It's tough sometimes trying to make ends meet when you have only one income. I spend so much time trying to cut corners here, shave dollars there.
I have discovered lots of simple ways to make money from home (not a lot of money) and enjoy doing it, all the while spending all my time with my children.
Here are some things that I do for extra cash and a few other ideas that I may be able to implement in the near future. Will one or some of these stay-at-home money makers work for you?
  • Crafting- I make quilt patterns and quilts. Maybe you are a skilled jewelry maker. These items sell for a pretty penny on eBay and Craigslist with minimal monetary investment. It's more about the time involved! Also, if you are really great with the sewing machine, make cloth diapers, one of a kind girls' dresses (check these out), baby blankets with monograms. The craftier you are, the better.
  • Candy Making- I make fudge! I recently had a farm invite me to be their fudgemaker. I am so honored. It's really exciting! I also make brittle. The candies that can be stored at room temperature don't break any food sale laws that I could find, but check your local health codes to be safe.
  • Grow a Garden- Grow herbs, vegetables, and fruits for profit. It is a wonderful hands-on lesson for the kids and a terrific way to make money while providing wholesome, pesticide-free food to the folks in your community. Sell your goods on Craigslist, post flyers at church, etc.
  • Babysitting- I will begin babysitting this summer. I know that in my state, I can watch up to 4 children without a daycare license. My children look forward to the extra company around the house and I make up to $100 per week, per child. Who couldn't use and extra $400 a week? And I love children. I can hardly call it work!
  • Upscale Reselling- Spend one weekend per month hitting book and clothing sales for huge bargains and resell them for a small profit on eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, your own yard sale, etc. You can also offer to help relatives clean out closets, garages, attics, and so on and collect the items they no longer use or want and resell these items for profit without monetary investment. My largest profit so far: I bought a book for 50 cents and sold it for $31.00!
  • Tutoring- Are you especially talented in a particular subject? If you are homeschooling your own kids, I bet you can teach any child! Make flyers to post at local churches, schools, coffeeshops, and more. You may only need to sign up a few children a month to make your cash goals a reality. I have charged an average of $22.00 per hour (and people consider me to be the most reasonably priced!).
  • Gift Baskets- You can target businesses as well as individuals with this endeavor. Get your children involved, too. Do a little brainstorming and come up with themes and contents and so on. Gift baskets have gotten quite popular over the last several years and make a wonderful home-based business venture.
  • Home Inspection- This one will take you out of the home from time to time (alone) but it's well worth it. Get yourself certified to be a home inspector. You can make a few hundred dollars inspecting just one home. You might need to ask a relative to sit with your kids for you for a bit or you can schedule inspections around your spouse's schedule. Check the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors website for all the important information you need to become certified. There is a certification fee.
  • Desktop Publishing- If you have time, energy, and creative flair you could make extra money creating flyers, brochures, newsletters, and posters for businesses, churches, and individuals. You will need to invest in the necessary software which can be quite expensive. Be sure you know how to use it before you buy it!
  • Event Planning- Are you super organized? Do you have a special talent for getting together get-togethers? There's a lot of money to be made planning weddings, parties, funerals, and other types of events.

There are so many other options out there. This is such a tiny drop in the bucket of things you can do from your own home (mostly), but I hope I have given you some great ideas and motivation in the right direction in reaching your personal money goals.

I hope you are having a great start to this wonderful new year!

Bless you and your family,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment