Monday, December 7, 2009

The Family Home School

You know that as your children get older, they are more capable of learning on their own. They are better equipped to focus on their studies and yield desirable results when asked. Homeschooling through high school while teaching younger children is also one of the best ways I can find to let the high school age children constructively exercise their knowledge and abilities by helping to teach the younger children.
I look forward to my oldest son’s participation in my daughter’s and youngest son's education. I know that he will be able to provide them with much needed enthusiasm for science that I, unfortunately, lack. I anticipate that his love of art will open my daughter’s eyes to a world of color and creativity that is sometimes lost on me. He will be able to teach his baby brother all the finer points of skateboarding and roller blading. There will also be terrific debates about the effectiveness of our government and the subjugation of our enemies. I am a hippie and my son wants to be an airman!
Having distinct age differences and educational backgrounds in my homeschool opens my eyes to the randomness of multiple views, numerous talents, and the clash of cultural consciousness. We all learn here. I am thirty- four; my oldest son is twelve; my daughter is almost 3; my youngest son is now 6 months old. I attended eight years of public school; my son attended three years of public school, and my two youngest children will never attend.
I foresee a long-lasting homeschool of harmony and commitment with a healthy mixture of individuality. I know I can homeschool through high school with God and my wonderful, curious, capable children in tow. It is indeed a family affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment